Usborne Books For: Parents of Young Children, Grandparents, Early Literacy

Usborne Books

Hello again. I  have been reflecting quite a bit lately with the graduation of my first child coming soon.  Many memories whizzing through my mind.  My son is an honors student and has been getting so much recognition this senior year.  He told me that 82% of brain development occurs by the age of three.  As my Mother's Day positive, both my teens thanked me for the education they received before starting school.

I can't take credit for all of it.  There are so many resources out there that are good for children to explore.  I want to focus on Usborne Books.  No, I'm not a saleslady, just someone who is passionate about the books they offer for children at a young age.

The first books that caught my eye were the tactile board books.  The board books were thick and each page had a a texture the child could feel.  They were so interactive, durable, and entertaining.  One of the many books they publish is "That's Not My Puppy."  As the story is read, each page tells why a dog isn't their puppy.  Touching different textures and saying the name for them is great for stimulation at an early age.  Toddlers can appreciate this book when they learn to open a book with their little fingers and hold the book as they look at it from front to back.  These are early literacy skills.  I can't say enough about them.  I love them so much, if someone I know is having a baby, guess what I buy for the parents?  Yes, the early board books.

The board books are so amazing, yet the preschool books are even more incredible.  Please note there are other publishers and series of books that have similar features, but the Usborne just are the icing on the cake of books.  "Farmyard Tales" series is simple, cute, and interactive.  The print is large enough for the preschooler to watch a caregiver use one's finger to follow the words.  The stories keep the child's attention and even better, there is a hidden duck on every page for the child to find. This gives the young one an opportunity to interact with the book.  As a child hears the story, the caregiver can point to the colorful pictures and name different pictures, which develops vocabulary.
So cool to have such hours of fun with books.

A series of books my children vividly remember is "1001 Things to Spot on the Farm."  The titles of other books vary in topics such as the sea, bugs, etc.  As one opens the first page, there is a crowded picture.  Along the side and bottom is a list of things to spot and a certain number to spot.  Great enhancement for counting and naming things.  My daughter spent hours with her grandmother in these books.  This series of books not only works on counting and words, but it also teaches a variety of topics for students to learn.

I ended with the Adventure books.  These books were puzzles where the child had to find something on every page to help a character get to where they needed to be.  One of these books is "Chocolate Island."  It is about some kids going to Chocolate Island to get a recipe for a baking competition.

These books were one of the keys to my two teens' early reading and skill development.  They not only heard a cute story, but they were able to use their eyes to find things, actively participate in the story (great for wiggly little ones), and engage in helping a character.  There are so many great Usborne books, but I stopped with these.  I can't say enough great things about how these types of books helped my own children.

There is nothing better than sitting down with a good book and reading to your children, but the interaction in addition to listening is noteworthy.  Have a great week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boy with Autism teaches me

Social Skills for Disabilities

Young Life with a Brother with Down Syndrome